looking towards Bolt Tail
Take in the old haunts of Saxons and smugglers, lush coastline and glittering sea, then amble back through the green fields of South Devon.
Fairly even coastal footpath; surfaced roads; fields and footpaths.
2 stiles, 1 fairly steep climb and 1 steep descent
In Bantham and Thurlestone
Public toilets at Bantham beach car park and across the road near Leasfoot Sands, past the golf clubhouse
Private car park at Bantham beach. Charges apply.
1. Follow the main track through the car park. This leads past the lifeguards’ hut and through a kissing gate onto the coast path signed for Thurlestone.
2. Follow the waymarked path alongside the golf course and past BroadSands and Yarmouth Sands.
3. When you reach Leasfoot Sands, turn left by the beach safety sign. Go past the golf clubhouse, and turn left onto the road up to Thurlestone.
4. At the war memorial. leave the road and continue straight on along a track signed ‘Public Footpath Bantham 3/4 mile’.(Alternatively, you can take a short detour along the road to the right here for local facilities and refreshments).
5. Cross over the stone stile beyond the church and follow the waymarked path across the fields and steeply down to the valley bottom.
6. At a stile with a large granite block base, cut diagonally across the field to the left, then over another stile onto the path into Bantham.
7. Turn left at the Sloop Inn, and follow the road back to the car park.