All of maritime life is here in Start Bay's great sweep of sea and land. Traditional fishing communities, and the mysterious and tragic lost village of Hallsands. The walk wends its way home again along green lanes and footpaths.
Coast path with one long flight of steps; surfaced roads; field footpath; tracks and green lanes.
1 stile; 2 flights of steps; 1 steep ascent.
Public toilets by car park in Beesands.
Seafront car park at Beesands.
1. As you face the sea, turn right along the seafront. At the end of the road, bear right by a house called Seathatch up the coast path.
2. Follow coast path along the cliffs until you drop down to Hallsands.
3. Walk along the back of the beach, bear right and then left up a long flight of steps. If you wish to visit the Hallsands information point and see the remains of the lost village, bear left down the short path in front of Prospect House, retrace your steps back to continue the walk. By Prospect House apartments at South Hallsands, bear right down the road.
4. After 150m, turn right opposite Hallsands village car park over a stile onto public footpath signposted Bickerton. The path follows the fence line through the fields and enters a green lane.
5. Turn right at the road. Go through the hamlet of Bickerton. On a left hand bend at Bickerton farm turn left then immediately at Tolcott House bear right onto greenlane signed Bridgeway Lane.
6. At the road turn left. After 200m, turn right by a small stream onto a track leading onto a green lane.
7. By the farm, bear right up green lane following red waymarker.
8. When you meet the surfaced road, turn right. After 120m, turn right again following green waymarker for ‘Beesands’.
9. At the bottom of the last field as you drop towards the sea, turn left following the waymarker. You will see the coast path below you on your right, continue along this permissive footpath until you rejoin the coast path.
10. When you meet the coast path, turn left and retrace your steps down to Beesands.