Looking towards Soar
Following in the steps of our forefathers, this walk takes in the spectacular sites of two enclosures, dating back to the Iron Age, and the pathways and ancient green lanes in between, including a glorious stretch of coast.
Coastal footpath; field footpaths with some mud in wet weather; surfaced road; green lane; route fairly even underfoot overall.
5 stiles (4 can be bypassed), 4 flights of steps, 1 steep ascent.
This route is not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs.
Bus service 162 between Kingsbridge and Hope Cove, twice a day Monday to Saturday. For information on public transport in South Hams please call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit www.traveline.org.uk.
Malborough: Royal Oak 01548 561481; New Inn 01548 561320; Chuchill's Bistro 01548 561405. At Bolberry Down: Port Light Hotel serves drinks, cream teas, lunches 01548 561384.
Public toilets by post office, Higher Town, Malborough.
Village Hall car park, Malborough. Free.
Please contact Salcome Tourist Information Centre on 01548 843927 or visit www.salcombeinformation.co.uk.
Public payphone and post office by church, Higher Town, Malborough.
1. Leave car park via footpath towards filling station.
2. Cross top of Collaton Rd and turn left along Higher Town into '20mph zone'.
3. Just past the New Inn turn right down Chapel Lane. At junction, cut accross to left and follow 'public footpath' fingerpost to right. Path leads along field edges to kissing gate on the left into a field - the site of Burleigh Dolts earthworks.
4. Retrace your steps to the village. At the top of Chapel Lane turn left.
5. At the main road junction turn right down Collaton Road then right again down Lower Town, and bear left down Well Hill.
6. Just before the road end, bear left onto public footpath.
7. Head straight on in front of farmhouse at Portlemore Barton, signed 'Furzedown 1.5m', and follow track.
8. Turn right up track by Furzedown Farm. Turn left along road then right after 100m onto footpath across two fields.
9. At far field edge bear right along field margin to field corner. Cross over stone stile, go straight on, then follow yellow waymarker left. At far side of farm, follow fingerpost along footpath.
10. At next junction turn left along Jacob's Lane signed for Bolberry Down. At the road turn left.
11. Cross cattle grid at Bolberry Down, go straight on for 50m, then turn right onto coast path at 'acorn' waymarker.
12. Continue to follow the coast path along the cliffs to tip of promontory at Bolt Tail Hillfort.
13. Loop back out of hillfort and follow coast path down to Inner Hope.
14. At bottom of steps by slipway turn left along road. After 100m bear left signed 'Outer Hope 0.5m'. After a further 100m turn right signed 'public footpath Galmpton 1m'. Climb up past church, cross road, and continue up private drive and then field footpath up along broad ridge for 1.5 miles.
15. Path crosses field corner and stile to left onto road. Turn right and follow road back to Malborough. Cut straight through churchyard and along Higher Town back to main road and car park.
© Natural England copyright. Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2012.
This boundary data for the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has been provided by Natural England and used by the South Devon AONB Unit under the Open Government Licence.