The Salcombe - Kingsbridge Estuary is a glittering jewel in South Devon’s crown. This walk explores one of its loveliest creeks, teeming with wildlife, along with some of the areas ancient green lanes.
Estuary foreshore, sometimes slippy underfoot; field footpath; green lane, with some soggy and muddy sections in wet weather; surfaced road.
This route is not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs.
Bus service 93 to Frogmore from Dartmouth, Kingsbridge, and Plymouth. For information on public transport in South Hams please call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit www.traveline.org.uk.
Globe Inn, Frogmore 01548 531351
Nearest public toilets at the Quay in Kingsbridge.
On-street parking in Frogmore; avoid main road. Alternatively, park and ride from Kingsbridge via Number 93 bus.
Please contact Kingsbridge Tourist Information Centre 01548 853195 or visit www.welcomesouthdevon.co.uk/locations/kingsbridge.
Post office and village store, Frogmore. Public payphone by village store, Frogmore.
1. From the bridge at Frogmore follow the main road up past the post office and Globe Inn; take care on this busy main road.
2. After 300m turn left onto public footpath signed for Frogmore Creek and West Charleton. Follow path around field edge and along above creek.
3. Bear left at next fingerpost signed 'Geese Quarries 1m'.
4. Eventually the path drops down onto the foreshore. After 200m follow the 'Public Footpath' sign inland.
5. When you meet the lane go straight on.
6. On the corner by the fire beacon basket turn left through metal gate and down public footpath through field.
7. At the bottom the path follows the field edge left, then turns right through the hedge bank.
8. Walk up field to next waymarker, then sharp left onto public footpath following farmer's track through field.
9. At the lane turn right.
10. At the main road in West Charleton take the public footpath opposite and to the left.
11. After 100m bear right up track. At bottom of drive for Fernrose join public footpath following yellow waymarkers up valley.
12. Where path crosses stone stile to t-junction with green lane, turn right.
13. After 3/4 mile, at T-junction turn right down green lane.
14. Turn left at the main road and walk with care down through Frogmore back to the bridge.
© Natural England copyright. Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2012.
This boundary data for the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has been provided by Natural England and used by the South Devon AONB Unit under the Open Government Licence.