Cultural Trail: Trade & Settlement. This cycling route is part of a series of themed trails to help you learn more about the landscape around you. Other trail themes include Coast & Conflict; Man & the Landscape; Colourful Landscape.
Quiet country lanes; green lanes; bridleways. Some slippery, muddy stretches in wet weather.
3 steep climbs.
Public toilets immediately above village green, East Prawle; and by Mill Bay.
Village green, East Prawle. By donation.
Please contact Kingsbridge Tourist Information Centre 01548 853195 or visit www.welcomesouthdevon.co.uk/locations/kingsbridge.
In East Prawle: public payphone above village green; small village shop below village green.
1. As you face the phone box at the top of the village green, turn left to follow the lane out of the village. After 400m turn right to follow public bridleway along green lane.
2. At the T-junction at the end turn right. Follow public bridleway which leads up the valley.
3. At the road turn left. At the junction at Vinivers Cross turn left signed for West Prawle and East Portlemouth.
4. After 1 mile, at Rickham Cross, turn left signed for Rickham.
5. After 1/2 mile, at small triangular green, turn sharp left. Follow track, bearing right. After 200m turn right to follow blue waymarker arrow down green lane.
6. At the bottom, turn right at Mill Bay. Follow the road around the estuary and creek for 3 miles.
7. Turn right at Devonshire Bridge. After 100m turn left up green lane called Orchard Lane.
8. At the road turn left. After 150m turn right onto green lane signed 'Quarry Lane - Cousin's Cross 3/4m'.
9. At the road turn right. At junction at Cousin's Cross go straight on signed for Stokenham and Kingsbridge.
10. After 1/2 mile turn right down green lane signed 'Public Bridleway South Allington 1m'.
11. At the road turn right. At the junction at the bottom turn left and follow road through South Allington.
12. After 3/4 mile turn right signed 'Public Bridleway East Prawle 2m', then immediately right again up short steep pull. Bridleway follows contour then climbs very steeply up field to right.
13. Follow blue waymarker arrows up to and along wide green lane and then field edges. At gate and junction go straight on along grassy green lane, following blue waymarker arrow.
14. Follow blue 'Public Bridleway' signs along farm tracks and green lanes.
15. By pond just before Woodcombe Farm turn left across field to follow bridleway diversion. At next junction go straight on signed 'East Prawle 3/4m'.
16. At following junction go straight on signed 'Public Footpath & Bridleway'.
17. At next junction turn left signed 'East Prawle 1/2m'. Follow track to the road and turn left.
18. Turn left at next junction, then immediately right up past Pig's Nose Inn to East Prawle village green.
© Natural England copyright. Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2012.
This boundary data for the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has been provided by Natural England and used by the South Devon AONB Unit under the Open Government Licence.