Step out along the coast path from the Salcombe Estuary to meet the wide open sea. Exhilarating scenery, and a wonderful way to get the wind in your sails.
To enhance the information on this estuary self-guided walking trail, we have recorded audio descriptions about the hidden and past world within the estuary.
The hidden estuaries audio clips are best listened to at the key positions around the walk, all of which are marked on the downloadable walk map (link on the right) and physically on-site by small plaques. You can download the clips from the audio player on the right of this page, onto an MP3 player or simply call the local no. 01548 802315 on-site and then the 3 digit number shown for each position.
Coastal footpath, uneven and rocky in places; surfaced road; green lane; field footpath.
1 steep ascent.
This route is not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs.
Bus services to Salcombe: 606 from Kingsbridge; 93 from Plymouth and Kingsbridge. Follow pedestrian signs into town centre from bus stop. For information on public transport in South Hams please call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit www.traveline.org.uk.
Several pubs, cafes, and restaurants in Salcombe.
Public toilets at Mill Bay; also at Whitestrand, Salcombe.
Shadycombe car park, Shadycombe Road, Salcombe.
Please contact Salcombe Information Centre on 01548 843927 or visit www.salcombeinformation.co.uk.
Post office and variety of shops in Salcombe. Tourist information centre in Council Hall, Market Street, Salcombe. Public payphone at Whitestrand, Salcombe.
1. From spring to autumn the ferry to East Portlemouth runs from the ferry pier, 200m beyond Whitestrand along Fore Street.
2. At the top of the steps from the jetty turn right along the road.
3. At Mill Bay bear right, signed 'Gara Rock 2.5 miles'. Ignore both a left turn signed 'Top Path to Gara Rock' and a left fork for the beach, and follow the acorn waymarkers along the coast path.
4. When you reach the 'Gara Rock' waymarker, bear left and head up to the small round white lookout post. Pass in front of the lookout, through the gate, and turn left at the fingerpost, signed 'Mill Bay 1.25 miles'.
5. Follow the lane leading inland. After 200m turn left onto public footpath.
6. Cross straight over the field ahead. Where you drop down to a track, cross over and down bridleway, following blue waymarker arrows.
7. At Mill Bay turn right and retrace your steps along the road to the jetty, and the ferry back to Salcombe.
© Natural England copyright. Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2012.
This boundary data for the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has been provided by Natural England and used by the South Devon AONB Unit under the Open Government Licence.