Experience breathtaking views of Tor Bay, discover ruins, follow in ancient footsteps along historic trackways, through rural villages and outstanding countryside to the River Dart estuary and visit the National Trust's Greenway.
This walk includes two hidden AONB geocache, however, be prepared to go off the beaten track to hunt for them!
Information about geocaching and the exact locations of the full series of South Devon AONB geocache and the GPS coordinates required to find them.
Coastal and inland footpath, pebble beach, short section on estuary foreshore.
2 stiles, several gates, 2 short steep climbs and one main road crossing.
Well served. Nearest bus stop on Broadsands Road, near the viaduct. Regular service between Paignton and Broadsands. For information on public transport in South Hams please call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit www.traveline.org.uk.
Seafront cafe at Broadsands. The Weary Ploughman near Churston Station. The Churston Inn, Churston. The Manor Inn, Galmpton. Greenway Cafe when estate is open. Anchorstone Cafe and Ferry Boat Inn, Dittisham.
Public toilets on seafront at Broadsands.
Broadsands beach, charges apply.
Campsites, B&B, Inns and Guest Houses around Galmpton. Toutist Information Centres for Paignton, Brixham and Torquay tel:0870 7070 010 or Dartmouth tel:01803 834224.
The National Trust's Greenway Estate. Check for the latest opening times and prices before you set off. Tel: 01803 842382 or e-mail email@example.com.
1. Starting from Broadsands Beach take the coast path to Brixham. At the junction with the old tree, head right inland, then left across the golf course. Turn right into Green Lane, turn right at the end, then left into Bridge Road.
2. Cross the main road using the subway. Pass Churston Station to your left and take the next left. Just before the Manor Inn, take the left-hand fork to Greenway Garden. Beyond the village, turn left into Kennel Lane, over the railway bridge and turn right onto Coombe Lane. At the top, turn right to Higher Greenway.
3. At the next T-junction turn left into Greenway. Enter the National Trust's Greenway Estate and go through the gates on your right. Keep to the right-hand edge of the field. Follow signs to the right for Galmpton. Go through the gate and keep to the left-hand fenceline. Take the left-hand gate into the woodland. Go through the kissing gate and cross Greenway Road.
4. Climb the two stone stiles and turn right into Lower Greenway Farm yard. Turn left and head towards another old stile and gate. Go through the gate in the right-hand fence heading down towards the stile onto the foreshore. Continue right, along the foreshore. Walk up the short hill until you come to a right-hand bend. Here take the green lane ahead towards Galmpton Creek boatyards.
5. Follow the lane uphill past Dartside Boat Park. Turn right to Galmpton at Stoke Gabriel Road. Pass the Post Office and take Slade Lane on your left, to Galmpton Warborough Common. Head for the disused windmill. Cross the main road near the war memorial.
6. Walk downhill, alongside Bascombe Road until you reach the public footpath on the left. This footpath emerges on Broadsands Road. Turn right downhill to return to Broadsands Beach.
© Natural England copyright. Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2012.
This boundary data for the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has been provided by Natural England and used by the South Devon AONB Unit under the Open Government Licence.