A walk of towering cliffs, endless coastal views, scenes and stories of shipwrecks, and the charm of Devon lanes winding between abundant hedgebanks with the beautiful, nestled fishing village of Hope Cove to start from and return to.
Coastal footpath with some uneven ground; surfaced road; green lane; fairly even country footpath.
4 stiles, 1 flight of steps. There are two ascents on the walk, though the climbing is long and steady rather than very steep.
Bus service 162 between Kingsbridge and Hope Cove, twice a day Monday to Saturday. For information on public transport in South Hams please call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit www.traveline.org.uk.
In Outer Hope: The Hope and Anchor Inn, serves food 01548 561294; Beachcomber Cafe, open April-Oct 01548 561974; Harbour Light restaurant serves cream teas, snacks and meals 01548 897579. At Bolberry Down: Port Light Hotel, serves drinks, cream teas and lunches 01548 561384.
Public toilets in Outer Hope.
Private car park at Outer Hope. Cost for parking in 2006 was £3.00.
Please contact Kingsbridge Tourist Information Centre on 01548 853195 or visit www.welcomesouthdevon.co.uk/locations/kingsbridge.
Phone box by Outer Hope car park. Hope Post Office and Stores in Outer Hope.
1. Turn left out of car park and follow the lane through the village. This becomes a path and then a road again down into Inner Hope.
2. By the slipway, follow the coast path up the steps. Follow the waymarked path, which snakes around Bolt Tail, and along the cliffs.
3. At Bolberry Down turn down the lane. At the next T-junction, turn left, then just around the corner fork right.
4. Drop down the hill, then up the other side of the dip, and turn left onto the green lane signed 'Sweethearts Lane'.
5. At the next junction turn left, signed 'Public Footpath Galmpton 1/2 mile'. This path cuts off to the right by the gateway to Higher Barton, signed 'Public Footpath, Galmpton 3/4 mile and runs up across one small field and right along the field margin of the next.
6. Though gate and turn left over the stone stile by the tall waymarker post and follow the field edge footpath back to Hope.
7. Cross the road and follow the path down steps by the side of St Clements Church, then turn right and return through Hope to the car park.
© Natural England copyright. Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2012.
This boundary data for the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has been provided by Natural England and used by the South Devon AONB Unit under the Open Government Licence.