A lovely wander following the valley of the River Erme, in an area where the wild beauty of the moor and the mellow delights of rolling South Devon meet and merge.
Footpaths, often through fields; fairly even underfoot, occasional mud after rain; surfaced roads.
19 stiles (3 can be bypassed); 1 flight of steps.
This route is not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs.
Bus service X80 from Totnes, Torquay and Plymouth. Service X38 from Exeter, Ashburton and Plymouth. For information on public transport in South Hams please call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit www.traveline.org.uk.
Several pubs, cafes and restaurants in Ivybridge Crooked Spire Inn, Ermington 01548 831288.
Public toilets at Glanvilles Mill car park, Ivybridge.
Glanvilles Mill/Leonards Road car park, Ivybridge. Pay and display.
Please contact Ivybridge Tourist Information Centre 01752 897035 or visit www.ivybridge-devon.co.uk.
Many shops in Ivybridge. Post Office and village stores in Ermington. Public payphones; in Ivybridge by car park; in Ermington 20m up street to left of pub.
1. For much of its length this walk follows the green and white Erme Plym Trail/Coast to Coast waymarkers.
2. From the Leisure Centre in Ivybridge, take the riverside path downstream. Turn right opposite the recycling centre, and follow path around edge of playing fields.
3. Turn right along the road, then right again onto a footpath in front of Yeo Bungalow, across fields and along the river.
4. Turn left at road, and then first right at Caton Cross. After 200m bear right over a stone stile, and across fields to a second stone stile. Cross an open field via the telegraph pole, and follow the next field edge to the road. Turn right. At main road, take footpath opposite and to left, signed 'Sequers Bridge'.
5. Follow yellow waymarkers arrows across fields, following the river before looping up the hill.
6. At main road turn right. After 220m turn left up Town Hill into Ermington.
7. Take cobbled path to right of pub and cross fields to the church. Drop straight down from church to road and turn right. Turn first left down road past the school.
8. At main road turn left over bridge, then left again up lane signed for Penquit and Strode. From here you are retracing your earlier steps.
9. Turn left beyond brow of hill onto public footpath and follow yellow waymarkers back through fields.
10. Bear left at the road. Turn left at Caton Cross. Turn right just before Keaton Bridge onto riverside footpath. Where path enters field, fork away from river along remains of green lane and field edge.
11. Turn left onto footpath alongside road. After 200m, turn left and follow path around back of playing fields alongside river.
12. Turn left opposite recycling centre and follow river back to car park.
© Natural England copyright. Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2012.
This boundary data for the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has been provided by Natural England and used by the South Devon AONB Unit under the Open Government Licence.