with Bolt Tail behind, from Black Stone
A walk that’s relaxing and bracing. Beaches with a lovely lazy feel, refreshing open clifftops, the timelessly delightful village of Ringmore tucked away, and enough ‘up-and-down’ to get the circulation going.
Fairly even underfoot. Field footpaths; coastal footpath; green lanes; surfaced roads.
4 stiles; 3 steep ascents; 2 steep descents.
This route is not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs.
Limited. Bus service 875 from Modbury and Plympton; Fridays only. For information on public transport in South Hams please call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit www.traveline.org.uk.
Venus Café, Bigbury, serves food sourced from local and organic producers, 01803 833338; Journey’s End Inn, Ringmore, 01548 810205.
Bigbury-on-Sea car park, Bigbury; at Challaborough, just inside entrance to Challaborough Bay Holiday Park, on left.
Bigbury-on-Sea car park. Pay and display.
Please contact Modbury Tourist Information Centre 01548 830159 or visit www.modburytic.org.uk.
Public payphone on road by Bigbury-on-Sea car park. Small shop at Challaborough.
1. Exit car park up driveway at top left, passing below the red phone box. Bear left through overflow car park, signed ‘Coast Path to Challaborough’. Bear left along road.
2. By sign for Ringmore Drive bear left onto track, which drops down to Challaborough.
3. Follow road behind beach. 40m past entrance to holiday park, turn left in front of recycling facilities, then immediately right, following fingerpost around back of garage and along coast path, signed for Ayrmer Cove.
4. Follow coast path along the cliffs. At Ayrmer Cove follow path behind beach over footbridge. At far end of beach turn right over stile and follow footpath inland along fence line and then green lane.
5. Path curves to pass round back of Lower Manor Farm. Follow road up to village.
6. By the church, turn right, signed for Challaborough. After 130m bear left down a track between The Nook and post box, which leads onto a public footpath.
7. At the gate, take right hand footpath straight down field to bottom of valley, then across stream and up the other side.
8. Cross road at top and follow footpath down into next valley and again up the other side.
9. At the fingerpost at the top of the hill turn right signed ‘Bigbury-on-Sea ½m’ and follow ridge path down to Bigbury.
10. Join road down into village. Where the road curves left, cross straight over and down to car park.
© Natural England copyright. Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2012.
This boundary data for the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has been provided by Natural England and used by the South Devon AONB Unit under the Open Government Licence.