Like a satisfying meal, this walk has the shingle sweep of the beach to start, a main course of all the wildlife you could wish for on a National Nature Reserve, and the sweet and characterful village of Slapton for dessert. Perfect!
Footpath by Slapton Ley, occasionally uneven, with wet sections along shore after heavy rain; boardwalk; green lane, muddy and soggy in wet weather; surfaced road.
4 flights of steps
There is a viewpoint with disabled access and adjacent parking by Slapton Bridge, grid ref. SX 828443. The walk route, however, is not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs.
Bus service 93 from Dartmouth, Kingsbridge and Plymouth. For information on public transport in South Hams please call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit www.traveline.org.uk.
In Slapton: Tower Inn 01548 580216; Queen’s Arms 01548 580800.
Public toilets at Memorial car park, Slapton Sands.
Memorial car park, Slapton Sands. Pay and display.
Please contact Dartmouth Tourist Information Centre 01803 834224 or visit www.discoverdartmouth.com.
Village shop in Slapton. Public payphone in Slapton, turn right beyond Queen’s Arms, 100m on right.
Note: Slapton Ley National Nature Reserve request that dogs be kept on leads through the Reserve to avoid disturbance of wildlife.
1. From car park, turn right along road. Turn first left signed ‘Slapton ½m’.
2. After 150m turn left onto public footpath signed for Deer Bridge. Follow path along shore.
3. Path curves away from the shore. At fingerpost turn left along boardwalk signed ‘Permissive Route Slapton Village ¼m’.
4. At end of boardwalk bear left along footpath signed ‘Deer Bridge ¼m’.
5. At the road turn right up the hill.
6. Go straight over at Townsend Cross. Bear right, and follow lane down and around to the left. At junction at Brock St Cross turn right.
7. After passing Queen’s Arms, follow road around to left.
8. From edge of village, follow path along side of road back down to Slapton Sands. Alternatively, just past Field Studies Centre turn right down farm track signed ‘public footpath’.
9. After 250m, by sign reading ‘Farm Only’, bear right through gate by stile to continue along footpath.
10. Path leads you back to retrace your steps around shore of Slapton Ley to the road. Turn right.
11. Cross to right at junction to return to car park.
© Natural England copyright. Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2012.
This boundary data for the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has been provided by Natural England and used by the South Devon AONB Unit under the Open Government Licence.