Dec 2019: This walk may be affected by a temporary closure of a short section of the South West Coast Path National Trail at Blackpool Sands near Stoke Fleming. A diversion is in place following Blackpool Valley Lane, Mill Lane (incorporating Stoke Fleming Bridleway No. 3) and School Road. The reverse also applies. More details on South West Coast Path website.
This walk can be done as two smaller circuilar routes or joined up to make a longer figure of eight; great coastal views, green lanes, glorious beaches and plenty of history and wildlife along the way.
Country lanes, coast path, and green lanes. Fairly even underfoot, can be slippery in wet weather.
2 flights of steps; 8 stiles; 2 steep ascents; 2 steep descents.
Blackpool Sands, Strete and Stoke Fleming.
Public toilets at Blackpool Sands and Stoke Fleming.
Blackpool Sands - Blackpool and Start Estate.
You can also start the walk at Blackpool Sands and do a shorter loop - For Strete follow point 3-12 or for Stoke Fleming follow 13-14 then 1-3. Please note that this walk includes a short (250m) section of busy main road without pavement.
1. From parking area turn right, then right again at the junction. Follow Old Road until you hit the main coast road.
2. Cross the main road with care and turn right on the pavement. After 80m take the Coast Path on your left. Follow this down to Blackpool Sands.
3. If you wish to visit the beach or the facilities, walk down into the car park. Coming back up the driveway take the path on the left signed ‘Coast Path Strete 1 1/3m’.
4. At road, cross with care, and follow ‘Coast Path’ fingerpost through gate to left. After 100m path crosses lane to continue up steps. Follow yellow waymarker arrows, bearing right up steep field to stile.
5. Turn left up green lane. After 100m turn left following ‘Coast Path’ fingerpost, then immediately right over stile. Cross field to bottom corner, then follow waymarker arrow right over stile. Follow path to main road.
6. Cross at the road. Drop steeply down into the valley to right, cross stream, and climb up the far side, to follow waymarkers through clifftop fields.
7. Just after path veers a little inland to cross footbridge, follow concrete track up to right. Turn left at top along path. At road, bear left into Strete village.
8. Turn right by post office up Totnes Road. After 300m turn right along green lane signed ‘Public Bridleway’. Follow this green lane right around, across two streets residential streets and past two right hand bends, until you finally drop down tarmac drive to left to meet road.
9. Cross road and turn left. Walk with care and in single file along the side of this often busy stretch of road, following the long right hand bend. After 250m cross with care and turn left, signed for Southwood.
10. On left hand bend after 200m bear right signed ‘Widewell Lane’. Where lane sweeps right onto a concrete driveway, go straight on down a green lane (from here down to Blackpool, you are retracing your steps from earlier in the walk).
11. Follow ‘Coast Path’ fingerpost over stile to right, to drop back down steep field, and follow waymarkers.
12. Beyond the bridge over the stream, where the path meets the road, turn right back towards Blackpool Sands. (If you want to go back to Blackpool Sands take the path back down to the beach).
13. Turn left to follow the narrow lane past the front of thatched cottages.
14. After 500m, just before width restriction sign on road, turn right and follow public bridleway up and along green lane. At the end of the lane turn right. Car parking is immediately on right.