Cultural Trail: Trade & Settlement. This walk is part of a series of themed trails to help you learn more about the landscape around you. Other trail themes include: Coast & Conflict; Man & the Landscape; Colourful Landscape.
Country lanes, coast path, and green lanes. Mostly fairly even underfoot, occasional wet and slippery stretches in wet weather.
2 flights of steps; 8 stiles; 2 steep ascents; 2 steep descents.
This route is not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs.
Bus service 93 from Stoke Fleming from Dartmouth, Kingsbridge and Plymouth. For information on public transport in South Hams please call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit www.traveline.org.uk.
Church Road parking area, Stoke Fleming; also Blackpool Sands.
Church Road parking area, Stoke Fleming. Free.
Please contact Dartmouth Information Centre 01803 834224 or visit www.discoverdartmouth.com.
Post office and village stores in Stoke Fleming and Strete. Public payphone at Blackpool Sands and by post office in Strete.
1. From parking area turn right down hill. At the junction after 50m bear right through the iron gates to the churchyard and church. After visiting the church, retrace your steps to the church gate, and turn sharp left to follow narrow lane, with the church to your left.
2. At the T-junction, cross with care to the pavement and turn right down the hill. Branch left after 80m to follow coast path adjacent to road. Follow path down to beach at Blackpool Sands.
3. Retrace your steps back up the path away from the beach. 20m beyond the public conveniences, turn left signed 'Coast Path Strete 1 1/3m'.
4. At road, cross with care, and follow 'Coast Path' fingerpost through gate to left. After 100m path crosses lane to continue up steps. Follow yellow waymarker arrows, bearing right up steep field to stile.
5. Turn left up green lane. After 100m turn left following 'Coast Path' fingerpost, then immediately right over stile. Cross field to bottom corner, then follow waymarker arrow right over stile.
6. Cross at the road. Drop steeply down into valley to right, cross stream, and climb up the far side, to follow waymarkers through scrubby clifftop fields.
7. Just after path veers a little inland to cross footbridge, follow concrete track up to right. Turn left at top along path. At road, bear left into Strete village.
8. Turn right by post office up Totnes Road. After 300m turn right along green lane signed 'Public Bridleway'.
9. 'Follow green lane, which crosses two residential streets. After two right hand bends in the lane you finally drop down tarmac drive to left to meet road.
10. Cross road and turn left. Walk with care and in single file along the side of this often busy stretch of road, following the long right hand bend. After 250m cross with care and turn left, signed for Southwood.
11. On left hand bend after 200m bear right signed 'Widewell Lane'. Where lane sweeps right onto a concrete driveway, go straight on down green land (from here down to Blackpool, you are retracing your steps from earlier in the walk).
12. Follow 'Coast Path' fingerpost over stile to right, to drop back down steep field, and follow waymarkers.
13. Beyond the bridge over the stream, where the path meets the road, turn left and immediately left again to follow narrow lane past front of thatched cottages.
14. After 500m, just before width restriction sign on road turn right and follow public bridleway up and along green lane.
15. At the end of the lane turn right. Car parking is immediately on right.
© Natural England copyright. Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2012.
This boundary data for the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has been provided by Natural England and used by the South Devon AONB Unit under the Open Government Licence.