A gentle walk through a sumptuous landscape, the graceful form of Start Bay curling away to the north and south, freshwater lagoons, meadows, woodland, and peaceful Devon lanes meandering between blossoming banks.
This walk includes one hidden AONB geocache, however, be prepared to go off the beaten track to hunt for it!
Information about geocaching and the exact locations of the full series of South Devon AONB geocache and the GPS coordinates required to find them.
Route fairly even underfoot. Coastal footpath and field footpaths with occasional mud in wet weather; surfaced road.
2 stiles; 2 flights of steps.
This route is not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs.
Bus service 93 to Torcross from Dartmouth, Kingsbridge and Plymouth. For information on public transport in South Hams please call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit www.traveline.org.uk.
In Torcross: Start Bay Inn, locally well known for seafood 01548 580553; Torcross Boat House 01548 580747; Sea Breeze Cafe 01548 580697.
Public toilets at Torcross car park.
Torcross car park. Pay and display.
Please contact Dartmouth Tourist Information Centre 01803 834224 or visit www.discoverdartmouth.com.
Start Bay Stores and Post Office, Torcross; public payphone in Torcross, 400m from post office along main road around back of Ley.
1. From car park, cross road to seafront and turn right along the sea wall. At the end, go up steps signed ‘Coast Path up steps to Beesands, Hallsands and Start Point’.
2. Follow the track at the top then turn left following yellow waymarker arrow up hill and onto footpath. The path climbs inland around the back of an old quarry and drops down to Beesands Cellars.
3. Shortly before the path reaches the beach, turn right at fingerpost onto public footpath signed for Widewell. Alternatively, go straight on here for detour to visit beach and the quarry, which is left along the beach. Retrace your steps, and turn left here.
4. Follow path up field edge, cross track and continue, following yellow waymarkers.
5. The route emerges from woods past cottages at Widdicombe then bears right up drive.
6. After 200m turn right at fingerpost along public footpath signed ‘Widewell ¼m’, and drop down through field.
7. At the road turn right and follow lane to return to Torcross and the car park.
© Natural England copyright. Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2012.
This boundary data for the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has been provided by Natural England and used by the South Devon AONB Unit under the Open Government Licence.