An atmospheric walk full of marine life and maritime history. The long reaches of blue sea give way to green fields and dells on the pleasant inland roll home.
Coast path and country footpaths, reasonably even underfoot; surfaced roads.
7 stiles; 1 flight of steps; 1 steep ascent; 1 steep descent.
This route is not suitable for wheelchairs or pushchairs.
Bus service 48 to Wembury from Plymouth For information on public transport in South Hams please call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 or visit www.traveline.org.uk.
Old Mill Café, Wembury Beach 01752 862314/863280. Beachcomber Café, Bovisand Park 01752 862679.
Public toilets by Wembury Beach and at Bovisand Park.
National Trust car park, charges apply to non-members, 150 spaces.
Please contact Modbury Tourist Information Centre 01548 830159 or visit www.modburytic.org.uk.
Public payphone at road junction, 300m back up lane from Wembury Beach car park.
1. From car park follow path around back of beach and up broad steps then bear left along coast path.
2. Follow coast path along the low cliffs.
3. At Heybrook Bay bear left to continue along coast path, signed for Bovisands.
4. At Bovisand Park follow coast path up drive, bearing left around bay.
5. Beyond the holiday chalets bear left signed ‘Coast Path’. Follow path behind beach then turn right up footpath along far side of caravan park.
6. Bear right on meeting drive and follow track up valley signed ‘Staddiscombe 1 ½m’. Bear right after 100m onto footpath following yellow waymarker arrow.
7. Where you meet the road go straight on up lane. At the junction cross with care to right and turn immediately left down Staddiscombe Rd. (From here on you are following parts of the Erme- Plym Trail – look out for the green waymarkers).
8. At junction with Bovisand Rd cross over onto public footpath signed ‘Traine road 1m’. Follow left side of hedge bank.
9. After dropping down across fields to bottom of valley and up other side, cross stile and follow right hand field edges. Halfway along top field, fork left across to road. Turn right.
10. After ½ mile turn right over stile to follow public footpath signed for Ford and Langdon.
11. Path drops from top of hill down through fields and scrubby wood to Ford Farm. Turn left along the road.
12. After 120m turn right and over stile to follow public footpath signed ‘Church Rd ¼m’
13. Cross at the road onto road opposite then turn immediately right onto footpath back down to beach and car park.
© Natural England copyright. Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2012.
This boundary data for the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has been provided by Natural England and used by the South Devon AONB Unit under the Open Government Licence.