National Landscape Network
A National Landscape is an outstanding landscape whose distinctive character and natural beauty are so precious that it is safeguarded in the national interest. National Landscapes are part of a worldwide Protected Landscape Family.
- There are 46 National Landscapes in the UK.
- National Landscapes cover about 18% of the UK countryside.
- 66% of people live within ½ hour of an National Landscape.
- Just over one fifth of the English Coast is National Landscape.
- Over 19,000km of footpaths and bridleways pass through National Landscapes including 10 National Trails.
- National Landscapes store million of tonnes of CO2 each year staving off global warming.
- National Landscapes protect some of the UK’s most important and sensitive habitats.
- National Landscapes are visited by millions of people each year but don’t be put off, with 23,301 sq km there is still plenty of space to quietly enjoy.